AWAKENING IMPACT

AWAKENING IMPACT

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

I Stopped Giving Tests


There is a fascination in our country around standardized testing. Testing is BIG BUSINESS---and can be used to not only discredit teachers, but students as well. Don't get me wrong, I like some testing, but not probably in the same way others like it. I love testing because I love for kids to see themselves improving and showing growth.

I will be honest with you: I have not given a test in the past 8 years. Once I began to shift to a workshop model, where I was conferring with students about their work/growth/needs, I no longer had any need to give a test. Tests are not to be "GOTCHA's" to see if you: read the chapter, listened to the lecture, looked at the vocabulary.etc . Assessments should be used  to determine next steps for both the teacher and the learner.  

I am not against tests, per se, but I believe that too often tests are not for students. If we want to change the mindsets of our students, then it's important for us to focus on ASSESSMENT FOR LEARNING,  Better yet..shifting to ASSESSMENT AS LEARNING. This involves students being aware of their own learning objectives. This also entails students taking responsibility for achieving these objectives, and teachers as facilitators along the way. We want students to be able to self-reflect on their behavior and attitudes as WELL as their learning!!  

Once we stop doing assessments TO students --and do assessments WITH students, then we can actually build the capacity of our students to think critically!!
THIS---this is something I want to be a part of! 

No comments:

Post a Comment